Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My first Bat Mitzvah

Creating a custom invitation is kind of like picking out your wedding dress; what think you want and envision is never what you end up with. This is exactly what happen with a recent client. Debbie came all the way from Newton to meet with me about her daughter Haley's Bat Mitzvah. She was looking through my samples and loved what I had done for an Alison in Wonderland party and really wanted to use the fun font from it. Her vision was for Haley to have her own logo using the colors of yellow and blue. After finishing up a few different samples I forwarded them to Debbie who had the same gut feeling as I did......it was to casual for such a serious event however she was concerned if we went the in the other direction it would be to formal. I told her to give me some time and I would come back with round two. The creative approach I took the second time around was simple "what would I do if it was my daughter" Debbie as well as Haley were very happy with the end result.


Now that we had the logo, it was time to design the invitation. At that point Haley had already received 8 other invitations from numerous friends also planning their Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. This can be a challenge for both the kids and the parents as you try to create your special day while keeping it unique. I was thankful that Debbie chose to work with me because I could guarantee her that nobody would have Haley's invitation or logo because it was solely created for her.


They liked the look of a long invitation, the backing card was a beautiful textured card stock in amethyst, the text card was printed with two ink colors on white linen. Each guest received a custom address label that was attached to the front of a Belize envelope. Haley's logo was also used on the return address labels, thank you notes, and response card. The logo was also given to the entertainment company to use for the favors that would be created on site for all the guests. Debbie was even able to use the logo for custom M & M's that would be on all the tables.

This was my very first Bat Mitzvah and I could not have been blessed with better clients than Debbie and Haley. I loved how the design turned out and learned a lot about what goes into participating in such an event. Haley's big day is just a few weeks away, I am thankful that I was able to play a part in such an important occasion.



0 comments:

Post a Comment